Monday, April 03, 2006

Mens Night Out

My dad has a tradition that I was able to witness once again. For the final basketball game in the NCAA he invites all the men in t he neighborhood over to watch and they all bring a dish. They have voting and awards (trophies) for presentation and culinary taste and there is friendly betting on the game. This tradition started 17+ years ago because my dad bought a 27 inch tv and that that time it was huge, very impressive. So he moved the tv into the livingroom and invited all the neighborhood men over for the game. The 'rules' are they need to bring a dish that they make themself, no help from wives/sweethearts/girlfriends. Early on there were some men who would bring KFC or pizza or storebough things but many of the guy would go all out and whip up something amazing. Every year I would get to sample the dishes after the men had filled their plates.

So for the past 17+ years I have seen these men every year. Now the men aren't just from the neighborhood, since so many have moved away the circle has expanded but we have some of the same gentlemen have come every year.

My dad's neighbor Dave has helped to spice it up a little the past few years. The betting system has changed a little and now they use a different system that is handing $1 out the whole time, its fun and there's lots of cheering. [Helps to keep the old men awake!] And at halftime they go outside and shoot free throws. Also, Dave is a big garage sale shopper and he's picked up a whole bunch of old trophies, just random ones, and with his label maker...he has turned them into the trophies for the food awards. Its a fun time and I look forward to being a part of it every year.

Tonight was the party and the men started ariving at 7:30. I had hung up some of the memoribelia my dad has collected over the years. At this point I should say that my dad is a Indiana University fan, having gotten his doctorate degree there, so we have IU hats and stuff that come out for this event. I also hung up a t-shirt that has the University of Vermont on it when they made it into the tournment. Now the men watch the game on my brother's big tv and the betting is shown up on the slide screen. I like to watch as some of the men start to nod off around 9:30, 10 o'clock. Tonight I stayed through halftime and then I was ready to go off to bed but everyone there seemed like they would stay until then end.

Tonight I drive home with a good, smiling feeling. It was nice to see men that I have known since I was a child. These are people that I grew up knowing, I babysat their children and they have been good friends to my parents. And it so nice to have been able to be a part of this tradition for so many years.

And....GO FLORIDA! L, E

Comments:
What a fabulous party! This was such a cool post Erin. My family had the final Superbowl party in Feb. and it is so similar to what you were saying. The guests are friends of my parents who have watched me and my sister's grow up, whose kids we babysat, etc.

But your dad's idea of the trophies was spectacular! What a fun time for you all.
 
Sounds cool. I could see that happening up here with the Stanly Cup finals.
 
Parties are fun, parties where everyone else cooks are great! :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?